Man faces sexual assault charges
Yesterday, following an investigation into a sexual assault complaint, North Bay Police arrested and charged a 42-year old man from Keswick, Ontario, with:
- Two counts of sexual assault;
- Four counts of sexual exploitation; and
- One count of criminal harassment.
It is alleged that the accused sexually assaulted and sexually exploited a young female known to him on a number of occasions in North Bay in 2014 and 2015. He is also accused of criminally harassing the same victim several times from 2015 to 2017. In the interest of protecting the identity of the victim, the North Bay Police Service will not be releasing the name of the accused, who was held in custody for a bail hearing.
What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault is defined as any form of sexual contact without voluntary consent. This includes non-consensual kissing, touching, fondling, and intercourse.
No consent is obtained when…
As described in section 273.1 of the Criminal Code, no consent to engage in sexual activity is obtained when:
- the agreement is expressed by the words or conduct of a person other than the complainant;
- the complainant is incapable of consenting to the activity;
- the accused induces the complainant to engage in the activity by abusing a position of trust, power or authority;
- the complainant expresses, by words or conduct, a lack of agreement to engage in the activity; or
- the complainant, having consented to engage in sexual activity, expresses, by words or conduct, a lack of agreement to continue to engage in the activity.
Help for victims/survivors of sexual assault
If you are in an emergency situation, requiring immediate police assistance, call 9-1-1. To report a sexual assault, contact the North Bay Police Service at 705-472-1234. If you are a victim of sexual assault and do not feel ready to report the crime to police, help is available.
Victim Services of Nipissing District provides free and confidential short-term crisis support to victims of crime, tragic circumstance and disaster. For more information, call 705-472-2649.
The Amelia Rising Sexual Assault Centre of Nipissing offers a confidential sexual assault crisis line for anyone affected by sexual violence. Call the 24-hour Crisis Line at 705-476-3355.