Over the weekend, the North Bay Police Service responded to 208 calls for service and arrested and charged 10 people with the following offences:
- One person was charged with non-consensual distribution of an intimate image;
- Two people were charged with public intoxication and drink alcohol in a form that is not liquor;
- Three people were charged with public intoxication; and
- Four people were charged for breaches.
Teenagers face charges for distribution of intimate images without consent
Following an investigation into a complaint to police regarding intimate images that were posted online, North Bay Police arrested two males.
An 18-year old Powassan male, who was arrested on May 25th, 2016, was charged with:
- Two counts of non-consensual distribution of an intimate image, in accordance with Section 162.1 (1) of the Criminal Code.
A 19-year old North Bay male, who was arrested on June 4th, 2016, was charged with:
- One count of non-consensual distribution of an intimate image, in accordance with Section 162.1 (1) of the Criminal Code.
It is alleged that the 19-year old male saved two intimate selfies of a female, who had sent them to him through an image-messaging mobile app. Without her knowledge or consent, he then shared the photographs with his male friend, the 18-year old accused. The 18-year old then posted the images on a pornography website, one in February and the other in March 2016.
The 18-year old is also accused of posting another intimate photograph of another female to the same pornography website in April 2016. This second victim, who was unaware of the post and had not granted him permission to do so, had sent him the selfie months prior via the same image-messaging mobile app.
In the interest of protecting the identity of the two victims, the North Bay Police Service is withholding the names of the two accused, who were both released from custody.
The 18-year old is scheduled to appear in court on June 14th, 2016, while the 19-year old is scheduled to appear in court on July 12th, 2016.