Long Weekend Occurrences (from 7 a.m. on Thurs 31 Dec 2015 to 7 a.m. on Mon 4 Jan 2016)
Over the long weekend, the North Bay Police Service responded to 209 calls for service and arrested and charged six people with the following offences:
- Three people were charged with public intoxication;
- One person was charged with domestic assault, mischief under $5000, uttering threats, impaired driving, drive over 80, possession of marijuana, and fail to remain;
- One person was charged with mischief under $5000 and assault.
- One person was charged with assault and breach of probation.
Domestic dispute at local motel leads to several charges
Shortly before 4 a.m. on Friday January 1st, North Bay Police arrested a 43-year old Bonfield man outside a hotel on Delaware Avenue. As a result of the investigation, police charged the accused with:
- Domestic assault;
- Mischief under $5000;
- Uttering threats;
- Impaired driving;
- Driving with more than 80 mgs of alcohol in blood;
- Possession of marijuana (under 30 grams) under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act; and
- Fail to remain under the Highway Traffic Act.
It is alleged that an argument between the accused and his female common-law partner turned violent when the accused physically assaulted her at about 3:45 a.m. on January 1st in the hotel room where they were staying. The victim then left the room and proceeded to scream and run to the lobby. A witness contacted police to report the incident.
Meanwhile, the accused left his room, damaged property in the hotel hallway, threatened an employee when he was confronted about it and fled the scene in his vehicle. He then struck two parked vehicles and a telephone pole before crashing his vehicle into a snow bank on Delaware Avenue. He also tossed a container containing about seven grams of suspected marijuana out of his window before police arrived.
The accused, whose name the North Bay Police Service is withholding in the interest of protecting the identity of the victim, was held in custody for a bail hearing.
The victim sustained minor injuries as a result of the alleged assault.