Pedestrian struck by vehicle on Cassells Street
At 5:12 p.m. on Thursday November 26th, North Bay Police were immediately dispatched to Cassells and Olive Streets following a 911 call reporting a motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian. Following an investigation, police issued a provincial offence notice to the 44-year old female motorist of North Bay for failing to yield to pedestrian approaching.
It is alleged that the accused, who was travelling in a Hyundai SUV on Olive Street, made a left-hand turn onto Cassells Street where she struck a 68-year old female pedestrian of North Bay who was crossing at the crosswalk. The victim was transported to hospital by ambulance with non-life-threatening injuries.
Pedestrian struck by vehicle at Fisher Street
At 8:20 p.m. on Thursday November 26th, North Bay Police were immediately dispatched to Fisher and McIntyre Streets following a 911 call reporting a motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian.
The female driver of a Honda car was advancing on a green light on Fisher Street when she struck a male pedestrian who had failed to use the crosswalk and failed to look in both directions before crossing Fisher.
The pedestrian sustained minor injuries and was transported to hospital by ambulance.
No charges were laid.
UPDATE: Pedestrian struck by vehicle on McKeown
This is an update to the news release we issued on Wednesday November 25th.
At 10:13 a.m. on Wednesday November 25th, North Bay Police were immediately dispatched to to McKeown Avenue at Cartier Street following a 911 report of a collision.
Following an investigation, which included the assistance of an OPP traffic reconstruction expert, North Bay Police issued a Part III summons to the 68-year old male driver of a Rutherglen, Ontario for fail to yield to pedestrian within pedestrian crossover contrary to the Highway Traffic Act with a court date of January 8th, 2016.
It is alleged that the accused, who was travelling in a Dodge pick-up truck, stopped at a red light in the parking lot of Cartier Plaza. When the traffic light turned green, the accused proceeded to turn left onto McKeown Avenue from the Plaza and struck a 71-year old female pedestrian of North Bay who was crossing McKeown Avenue at the crosswalk.
The victim sustained major injuries and was transported to hospital by ambulance.
ROAD SAFETY TIPS
Everyone is responsible for keeping our roads safe.
Drivers are reminded to:
- Always look for pedestrians, especially when turning.
- Watch for children. Drive slowly and cautiously through school zones, residential areas, or any other area where children could be walking or playing.
- Be patient, especially with seniors or persons with disabilities who need more time to cross the road.
- Always be ready to stop for pedestrians making sudden or unexpected moves.
- Make sure the way is clear before entering or leaving driveways.
Pedestrians are reminded to:
- Look both ways before you cross the road and only proceed at intersections and within crosswalks.
- Always respect pedestrian traffic lights.
- Never cross in the middle of the road, between parked cars or when traffic signals indicate for you to stop.
- Make sure drivers see you before you cross. If the driver is stopped, make eye contact before you cross to ensure your safety.
- Watch for traffic turning at intersections or turning into or leaving driveways.
- Wear bright, light-coloured or reflective clothing, especially at dusk or when it’s dark.