Over the weekend, North Bay Police responded to 225 calls for service, and arrested and charged 12 people with the following offences:
• One person was charged with one count of fraud over $5000;
• One person was charged with one count of fraud under $5000;
• One person was charged with one count of sexual assault, one count of extortion, one count of utter threats and one count of breach of OIC undertaking;
• One person was charged with one count of impaired, one count of drive over 80 mg; and one count of fail to stop at the scene of an accident;
• Two people were charged with public intoxication;
• One person was charged with transportation fraud and mischief under $5000;
• One person was charged with fare fraud, obstruct police officer and assault police officer;
• One person was charged with one count of mischief under $5000 following a domestic dispute;
• One person was charged with one count of utter threats;
• One person was charged with one count of breach of OIC undertaking; and
• One person was charged with three counts of breach of recognizance.
Two face charges for fraud
Following an ongoing North Bay Police investigation that began in January this year, the North Bay Police Service, with the assistance of the West Nipissing Police Service, arrested and charged two people at a Sturgeon Falls residence on Sunday May 31st at approximately 1:15 p.m. for fraudulent activity related to bank deposits and withdrawals made at a North Bay bank.
A 36-year old man is charged with one count of fraud under $5000 and Mireille Claudette Marie Gagnon, age 26 is charged with fraud over $5000.
It is alleged that, between December and January 2015, the first accused knowingly deposited numerous fraudulent cheques written by Gagnon and totalling $5,235, into his North Bay bank account. He then withdrew cash from the same account, of amounts equal to or close to that of the deposited cheques, totalling just over $4,000.
Both accused were released from custody with court appearances scheduled for July 14th, 2015.
Man faces charges for extortion, sexual assault and uttering threats
Just before 4 p.m. on Saturday May 30th, North Bay Police arrested and charged a 32-year old man of no fixed address at a North Bay residence where he was staying with:
• One count of extortion;
• One count of sexual assault;
• One count of utter threats; and
• One count of breach of undertaking.
It is alleged that sometime in the afternoon of April 14th, 2015, the accused went to the residence of a woman known to him. Shortly thereafter, he told the woman that she had to steal items for him or face the results of the threats he made to her. When she refused to obey his order, it is alleged that he sexually assaulted her. The abuse stopped when she agreed to steal on his behalf. He is also accused of making another threat to her before he left the residence.
In the interest of protecting the identity of the victim, North Bay Police will not be releasing the name of the accused, who was held in custody pending a bail hearing.